Feminist & artist. Writing & visuals.

Kopano & Fatal Attraktion

| On
3.5.15
Jemma Bradford Kopano  Fatal Attraktion Jemma Bradford

Kopano, or Jemma Bradford is a young performer from Australia who is flying to Sydney in July to star as Sophia her first feature length film, Fatal Attraktion. I've been following Kopano for a while, and have always found myself impressed with her music, so I'm excited to see her branch into acting. Directed by Damiano Dentice, the film's Kickstarter page summarises:

"FATAL ATTRAKTION follows a young woman named Sophia as she deals with the relationships she has with her boyfriend, mother and best friend. In each of these situations conflicts arise about what is to be expected of her as a girlfriend, daughter and best friend. Confronted with these expectations Sophia must find ways to resolve the issue and find her true self."

As if this premise wasn't enough, it is also promised to be a "visual spectacle", with colour coordination, fashion-forward styling and VHS photography. Dentice's vision is one we can trust: an artist, his influences from the internet to late 90s/early 00s aesthetics paint a picture in my mind of a film worth looking forward to. 

Not without the disadvantage of different time zones, I had the chance to speak to Jemma about the film and her role:



I've read the summary to Fatal Attraktion, and I'm definitely interested. The plot is something I can see resonating with a lot of young women - how important do you think it is for these stories to be told? 

I also feel it resonates with a lot of young women, including myself, outside of my character's mindset. I can relate to the conflict my character is feeling in trying to find her true self in a world that is becoming more superficial and vain in itself.

I think it is important for these stories to be told, especially Fatal Attraktion's version as it explores how reliant people have become on brands as well as technology to promote and somewhat invent a version of themselves on social media sites such as Instagram or Tumblr that may not entirely be for the better, as they may mistake the portrayal of themselves on these online mediums to be their 'true self'. A lot of young women and girls feel the pressure to be perceived as 'cool' on these sites, almost ranked by how many 'likes' or 'followers' we gain; Sophia feels that pressure not only online, but offline through the individual expectations her boyfriend, friend and mother have of her.

I completely agree, I feel as if the modern girl is under another level of scrutiny; we have all the same-old problems, like family relations, but social media pressures are another facet of life now that can become troublesome. It's like an added dimension to how others perceive you. Sometimes it seems as if this important aspect of our lives is ignored, or with budget comes responsibility and they become watered down so they sell. Do you think alternative cinema is the place to go looking for these stories?

Alternative cinema, I believe, is a better place to go looking for these meanings as we are not as restrained as commercial cinema to advertise or stick to a certain notion of what society believes. We are more free to express an opinion and are more willing to challenge certain ideas that commercial cinema typically doesn't.

I personally have always gone to alternative cinema to find meaning, or just to entertain myself for a few hours. When you look at what commercial cinema has released over the past few months (like The Duff) and what alternative has released - the ideas are more genuine and forward-thinking. They explore what is in the box and what is out of the box, and I believe Fatal Attraktion will do the same.

To back the film and get merchandise, see their Kickstarter. Photo of Jemma by Gareth Howell.

Fatal Attraktion